As promised, we started with #1 on the list tonight. I was expecting them to be super spicy, but taking the seeds and ribs out really cut the heat. The creamy muenster cheese was a perfect balance to the heat and - hey - who doesn't like melted cheese?? I mean really? Want cheese with that? WHO SAYS NO?!
Makes 4 servings, 2 poppers each
8 whole jalapeños, stemmed, seeded and ribs removed
1 Tbsp olive oil (more or less)
salt - to taste
1/4 tsp ground coriander seed
1/4 tsp ground cumin
4-6 slices muenster cheese
1. Using a pairing knife, separate the ribs from the flesh of the pepper.
2. Scoop and tap the ribs and seeds out - rinse well.
3. Tuck 1/4" slices of muenster cheese into the little jalapeño cup you've carved
4. Toss stuffed jalapeños in oil and seasonings.
I used a toothpick on a few of the cups that had split slightly with my digging and removal of the insides.
5. Wrap in heavy-duty foil.
Fold over the two short sides and fold over twice. Bring up remaining sides and fold, allowing room for steam.
6. Grill over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, flipping several times. Unwrap carefully (remember that steam-room I mentioned a moment ago) There will be some cheese loss, however, it's easy enough to scrape up and enjoy with the rest of the popper!